It’s the most wonderful time of the year and for most, that means spending quality time with family and friends. Yet, the holidays are really about sharing, spreading joy, and caring for others in the community. However, that’s easier said than done. Where do you donate? How can you help? No sweat, we’ve put together a list of ideas to help cut down on the busy work so you can get to what really matters — helping others. Because ’tis the season.’
So if you like cooking, baking, or helping others we have a few ideas for you this holiday season:
- Buy a few extra canned goods when you are making groceries and donate them to the Greater Baton Rouge Food Bank.
- Offer to watch the kids and let a set of parents have a date night.
- Visit a local assisted-living facility and drop off some Christmas cookies or flowers to share. Click here to find a nursing home near you.
- Contact your local fire, police, healthcare, or veterinarian offices and see if it’s ok to drop off your best-baked pie or casserole.
- Teach your kiddos the benefits of donating some of their old toys and games to Toys for Tots.
- Volunteer at a local soup kitchen and help serve the needy.
- Next time you are in a drive-thru, pay for the person behind you to make a stranger’s day.
- Cook a Thanksgiving dinner for a family that may be struggling financially this year.
It’s so rewarding to give during the holiday season and throughout the year. From volunteering time to performing random acts of kindness, we can all do something to make the season a little brighter.